Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Time travel

I don't know how many people who might read this read fanfiction, but one of the usual themes for it is having the main character go back in time, sometimes as adults, but more often sending their personality/memories/soul back into their younger body. Now, the way msot of theses stories go follows the, as a favourite author described, 'changing desert, stable mountains' pattern, that is, certain things might be changed, but some events happen no matter what changes. Given what I know about chance and chaos, this is probably impossible, but for the convenience of my subject I'm going to follow it.


If I was to be sent back to my kiddie self, I think the thing I would miss most would be music. Not books, there are all sorts of books that came out when I was a kid that i'd love to own. Not tv, because I frankly think there are a whole bunch of better tv shows when I was a kid that are far superior to what is on now, cartoons especially; watching men In Black from beginning to end is my favourite childhood memory, especially since I cant seem to find any copies now a days. But music, ahhh, music. With a father who seems stuck in the 80s when it comes to music, and a mother who is a music fan, if I was stuck in my kids body I'd end up hearing, over and over and over again, music that i had  heard a thousand times before. Dave Mathews Band, disturbed, bily talent , apocoalyptica, the Darwin song project, I'd have to wait and wait and wait for all of these to come out. BUT THERE WOUL BE NO GUARANTEE THAT THEY WOULD COME TO EXIST AT ALL! Sure, it'd be very LIKELY that they would come to exist, but no CERTAINTY.

What if I decided to focus on learning how to play and sing guitar this time around? Would I be able to resist from playings songs I knew as an adult? if I didn't, and they were released and owned by me, what would happen to those who wrote them originally? The best i could hope for is that they became inspired by my songs and wrote even better ones.

Oh well, it's probably impossible that such a thing would happen anyway, and I certainly hope it doesn't. I guess this is nothing but an intellectual exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment